This blog is written solely by Max Greenblum. The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, July 19, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm




Well, my departure date for Peace Corps has finally come, my bags have been packed, and I have officially hit the road. I am now in LA awaiting the beginning of our orientation and training.

Tonight we have registration, which mainly consists of tons of paperwork, such as signing our life insurance policies and filling out numerous waivers and contact forms. Tomorrow morning the orientation continues with a full-day of meetings about what to expect and what's next. And at 11:40 pm tomorrow night, I will be on a flight taking off from LAX and landing in San Salvador, the capitol of El Salvador.

From everything I have been told and read, the first few days in El Salvador will be madness. We will be receiving immunizations, be put through spanish language placement tests (uh oh...), dropped off at the home of our host-family with little or no introduction (guess that is part of the training), and be expected to remember hours of information thrown our way. After the first few days, a more normal and regular training schedule emerges, which will include multiple sessions of about 3 to 5 hours of both spanish language training and more technical training in agricultural, environmental, or health-oriented issues. This training lasts roughly 11 weeks, includes various types of trips around the country, and if all goes well, will end with a swearing-in ceremony, when I will officially become a Peace Corps Volunteer and will receive my service placement (where I will live and work for the next two years).

Unlike a former roommate of mine, I don't think I will ever feel completely comfortable blogging (this is my first ever attempt) or manipulating my readers into clicking on advertisements and making me some cash to use out at the bars. However, I do hope I can not only keep all those interested in my experience in El Salvador up-to-date with my life, but also share with anyone who is willing to read this the numerous cultural discoveries, mishaps, and adventures I am sure I will find myself in.

While I hope to write every week or two, it is impossible for me to know what my internet connectivity situation is going to be like. However, I have heard that there will always be at least one internet cafe within an hour or two or me, no matter where I end up living.

Please feel free to comment on these posts or email me anytime you want...I'm sure any connection to home will make me feel great. I'm already missing everyone out there, but I truly am extremely excited about all the new foods, places, people, languages, and challenges I will be facing in the next two years and am equally excited about being able to share them all with you.

Also, in case you were wondering where exactly El Salvador is in Central America (don't worry, I was too when I heard that is where I would be living for two and a half years following college graduation), I've decided to include the following map.



6 comments:

  1. Max, you said I would be the first to comment..so here goes! I did pretty well telling you goodbye yesterday... but when I opened my present this am, that sure got to me. Thank you for the GW rowing shirt, it made my day. I will proudly wear it the next 2 years! Safe travels to you. Looking forward to following your blog and mailing you goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max - couldn't help but notice that Peace Corp patch on your backpack. Lovvve it, what style! You've always had it! Just know that El Salvador is going to be crazy about you - and its great the way you've embraced this whole adventure including this blog. All new & fun..can't wait to read next episode. Hugs & Kisses, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Max, well I'm aboard the blog thing - who sez old dogs can't learn new tricks . . . when I got home from leaving you at the airport there was a package on the front porch. Uncle Jeff had sent official World Cup t-shirts for us. Sorry it didn't make the flight. I'll wait till the first package and include it. Sure it will impress the "futbol" crowd down there. Everybody at the dock sends their regards. Enjoying your blogs, keep 'em up. dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max - godawful, you aren't really going hunting for armadillos,iguanas, etc - just don't tell me! Well, tell me about the dining part - curious how they do taste & prepared. Be careful! (its the mom thing, can't help myself).
    Loved that t-shirt story, what a hoot!and would love to know the story how it worked itself down there.
    Guys @ office very impressed w. fact you spent time w. mentioned futbol star @ LAX. This blog thing is great, feels like just got off phone & you shared all these stories. Thank you, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Max, just got your message and that you graduated to having a phone, congrats. Your number was on my phone but I couldn't make sense of it. I'll try and look up the country code and it might make sense. Your mom was telling me about the lady you are living with and she seems to think you are running on full in the karma dept. I've been rowing as much as I can, moved up to the 24's and it sure keeps you on your toes as far as balance - haven't bailed yet. Went down to Laredo to help my parents celebrate their 60th! Read your blog to them and they loved it. Everyone asks about you. So when you buy some more minutes give me a buzz and stay in the shade. love ya, dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is not the malaria pills, its the mescal.

    Uncle Jeff

    ReplyDelete