This blog is written solely by Max Greenblum. The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Immersion Weekend

Tomorrow morning I´ll be taking off bright and early for the most adventurous part of training so far: immersion weekend.

Getting to my site for the weekend is certainly going to be my most exciting task yet. Partly as payback for the mansion I´m currently living in, which is hands-down nicer than any other trainee´s home, and also partly because I´d already requested of my Program Director a future 2-year site as remote as possible, I´m being sent to the most remote volunteer site in El Salvador. My journey will begin with a bus heading east towards the large city of San Miguel, but I will be getting off in Moncagua, before the bus actually reaches San Miguel. That is where it really gets interesting. My site, a very, very small community known as El Volcan ("The Volcano" for you non-Spanish speakers) is only connected to the rest of the world (by pick-up truck, no less) two days a week, and Thursday happens to not be one of those days. These means I´ll probably be hitching a ride from Managua heading north to either Chapeltique or Guatajiagua. GoogleMap that if you want...good luck. From one of those towns my adventure will continue, with a walk up a volcano that will take anywhere between one and two hours, depending on, according to my Sustainable Agriculture Program Director, my "level of determination." I´ve decided I´m definitely going to be bringing two of my machetes to insure my security doing the second half of my journey. In all seriousness though, I am real excited to get to meet some different Salvadorans and spend time talking to new people and testing out just how good my Spanish has gotten.

While in El Volcan for the weekend, I´ll be mostly just hanging out with the current volunteer who is already there, following him around and seeing more of what actual life in Peace Corps is like, and testing out a truly remote post to see if that is really what I want. I´ll probably stay with the volunteer one night, but I´m also going to be staying with one or two other families for a night or two. The region I´m visiting is known for mostly bean and coffee growing, so I´m excited to get my first chance to work with and talk to farmers of those crops.

It´ll also be a great chance to meet people in another part of the country. Their accent is bound to be different as well as their political leanings and philosophies. Morazon, the department (equivalent to states in the US) I´m visiting, is located in the northeast corner of the country and historically is known as one of the homes of the FMLN and guerrilla movement during the civil war and as the site of most of the worst massacres that took place during the fighting.

I´ll be sure to take many pictures...I´m sure I´ll have plenty of chances during the plenty of walking I´ll be doing. Also, as could be expected, El Volcan is located very literally on the lip of a huge volcano, so I´m sure I´ll be enjoying some great views. I´ll probably be returning to the relative civilization of the San Vicente area by Monday, so hopefully I´ll get a chance to update the blog with some pictures and stories.

Also, in probably my proudest moment as a Salvadoran, I officially reached VIP status at my favorite little bakery yesterday. The ladies who live there greeted me with two extra free pastries. This meant in addition to my usual haul of three pineapple cakes for $.25, I also got a banana pastry and some other thing that still has yet to be identified. I couldn´t of been happier.

4 comments:

  1. Could you possibly be more adventurous??? Don't fall in the volcano for heavens sake!

    Your blogs just crack me up - best laugh I've had for days. Definitely living vicariously, as usual, but am now way more content to just imagine rather than wanting to be there!

    XOXO LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. max this is all so exciting!!! i cant believe you requested the most remote place!!! i loved the lengthy explanation on how to simply arrive there, clearly not so simple. good luck with the volcano climbing, hope you prove to be one of the more agile of persons. I am excited to hear more about the place and if you like it. I love reading your updates, your voice comes through strongly and thats what makes it really great. I miss you lots here in austin and am really proud of all that you are doing!! less than 2 weeks til i go to DC!!! crazy!!
    xoxo
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your descriptions of the places you are visiting and the people you are meeting, are just like the descriptions of home by my old Salvadoran clients. I'm proud of you. You seem to really be getting the language, political history and rhythm of the people. The beat and rhythm of San Antonio go on. Yoni just started Middle School, Shoshi - the First Grade, and Yael and Ziva returned to their Middle School. Tova is moved into her new office (which is really nice) and we just got a strong smoking ordinance passed (though volcanoes were exempted for obvious reasons). Tova, the kids and I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Max, I met with Hayden yesterday and convinced him to volunteer with me for the MammaJamma Ride coming up next month. I was put in charge of making sure all the road signs get installed the night before the ride so Hayden and three or four others and myself will be going out around 4 am along the different routes and put out signage then we'll change and take off on the ride at 8. Should make for an interesting ride . . . but will be good working with him. He's going to see if he can scare up some of his buddies to help out. Just got back from the dock and everyone sends regards. Sunny and I enjoyed talking to you Wed. She's not clear on exactly what or where El Salvador is but misses you. Take care, dad

    ReplyDelete