This blog is written solely by Max Greenblum. The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lesson Learned...Don't Slack When Fixing Holes In Your Roof!

I went to San Salvador this past Friday for an event celebrating Peace Corps' 50th Anniversary in the American Embassy. Upon returning to San Luis Saturday night, I discovered a rather large hole in my roof. So far the prime suspect is my enormous mango tree--I think a falling mango is responsible to the damage to my apparently quite frail roof.

While I didn't much like the idea of having a hole in my roof, especially since the sun comes through at just the right angle to shine right into my eyes every morning at 5:45, I wasn't too panicked, knowing, just like every other Salvadoran with a pulse, that the rainy season would not be returning until mid-May, so I have at least 3 months to deal with the issue--history, that is over 200 years of 100% consistent data, backed me up on saying it wouldn't be raining an inch in the next few months.

However, last night was just another reminder of the havoc climate change is wreaking on the world we live in (and particularly, my house). Out of nowhere, just as I was getting ready to call it and night and trying once again to roll, dive, and tumble through the crib walls and mosquito net that make my bed both very safe and nearly impossible to actually enter, a monsoon-style rain storm came out of nowhere. Instantly, it seemed a hose had been turned on full blast right into the middle of my house. Despite immediately jumping into action, my main room did slightly resemble a pool for a short period of time. Even after somewhat solving the problem by locating a small bucket under the hole to catch the rain water, I still had to set an alarm for every two hours during the night so I could get up to pitch the water and empty the bucket. Quite the night I had last night...I'm praying the weather can go back to normal tonight because I'm not sure how many more days I can make it with these constantly interrupted nights of sleep.

2 comments:

  1. That is one big hole! I could only imagine the amount of water that came in to your house that night. It’s really a lesson learned that in problems like this, repair is the best solution. Weather these days can’t be trusted. It’s always better to be prepared for situations like this.

    Richard Boles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rains are also something to watch out for. The downpour alone is something we can't overlook. Raindrops may be small, but they accrue, until they're either boring through the roof surface, or weakening its material. It's the little things that should command our attention.

    CooleyRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete